[FFmpeg-user] Use of "-color_range"

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 08:43:01 CEST 2011

On 04/07/11 22:01, Mark Himsley wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 15:44, Tim Nicholson wrote:
>> I am struggling to find any documentation on the use of this and
>> searching the source was not very revealing, to my eye at least.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that it expects an <int> I am none the wiser.
>>
>> I since it is a DEV function I was hoping I could use it to force ffmpeg
>> to handle source material of a non standard range.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> The source says:
>
> 0 == unspecified
> 1 == "MPEG" range
> 2 == "JPEG" range
>
 > Therefore, I'd expect 1 to be "broadcast" 16-235, and 2 to be "full"
> 0-255. I haven't tested this, just grepped through the source.

Bother! Missed that in my "find", which file was that in?

I presume that you are presuming MPEG => yuv=> 16-235 and JPEG => RGB
=>0-255, which is a bit woolly for such an important parameter.

> My flip camera records 0-255 videos but flags the h.264 as 16-235 (or,
> perhaps I could word that better as the camera omits to flag the h.264
> as using the 0-255 range). It would be really nice if this option in
> ffmpeg could allow correct that - an even better if ffmpeg could then
> scale my 0-255 media to 16-235 for direct import into "broadcast"
> infrastructure.

Quite. But presumably setting the flag one way for the incoming and the
other way for the output would sort that....

Mind you there is a lot of "broadcast" kit making things to the wrong
spec. I know of one major application that outputs V210 YUV quicktimes
in full range, and another that outputs RGB dpx's to reduced range......

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/