[FFmpeg-user] Use of "-color_range"

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Tue Jul 5 08:49:15 CEST 2011

> Mind you there is a lot of "broadcast" kit making things to the wrong spec.
> I know of one major application that outputs V210 YUV quicktimes in full
> range, and another that outputs RGB dpx's to reduced range......

Blackmagic Design's DPX handling is a complete mess, if that's what
you're referring to. It's something that can't be fixed, either. Their
codecs ONLY handle broadcast range. That means DPX is always scaled
from broadcast to full range. If you attempt to capture full range
using a BM card, BM's software will clip to broadcast range, then
scale to full range for DPX output. As I said, complete mess. The only
way around it is to write your own capture app using their SDK.