[FFmpeg-user] Summing 2 stereo channels to mono (2 channels)

dcoffey3296 dan_coffey at harvard.edu
Tue Jul 26 19:16:52 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have searched all over the internet to find an answer to this question,
but no definitive answer- just a lot of "i don't think so".  I am hoping
that someone will read this and tell me it's simple!!

I have a .mov (XDCAM EX) with 2 channels of audio - separated left and
right.  My goal is to have the resulting h.264 (.mp4) output with a mono mix
of both channels in both ears (left and right are the same).

Please let me know if this is possible, I am trying to build an automated
workflow.  I know this is possible in sox or mencoder but i would prefer to
keep this to as few commands as possible.

Thank you for your help!