[FFmpeg-user] What video formats to support?

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:06:42 CEST 2011

On 2011.06.01 04:51 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> However, that GUI app does not seem to be scriptable. I'd like to
> script it as there are a few tens of files. It's not my computer, I
> don't want to be there all day!
There's a CLI version on the download page. I haven't used it myself,
but I doubt it's difficult to wrap in a script.
> So am I to understand that "avi" is the container and "mpeg4" is the
> codec?
Yes. Do take note that "mpeg4" means MPEG-4 Part 2 (its two most common
implementations are DivX and Xvid). MPEG-4 Part 10 is called "h264"
(implemented by x264 and others).
> Is the yuv420p information important?
AFAIK, aside from a few very specialized codecs, everything can be
decoded into a usable colorspace.