[FFmpeg-user] What video formats to support?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:54:49 CEST 2011

If I understand correctly, if a machine states that it supports:
M/RMVB, MKV, MOV, FLV, H.264, VOB, AVC, AVI, DIVX, HDMOV DAT, PMP,
mp4, MPEG1/2/4
Then that is a mix of container formats, codecs, implementations, and parts?

What are the _common_  formats, codecs, implementations, and parts?
Such that if one were to buy a media player without knowing beforehand
the video file in question, one might reasonably assume that it would
play them all if it supported those formats?

Thanks. I had not idea that the field is so fragmented.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com