[FFmpeg-user] Recording logitech ultra vison,

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Jun 7 16:44:55 CEST 2011

On 07/06/2011 15:27, Sw at g wrote:
> Right,
>
> So I am still trying to get the best possible video quality, and looking
> at the mencoder command the x264 profile is set to high - but trying to
> use the -vpre setting doesn't work since it refer to x264 --preset, I
> was trying to get the ffmpeg command for x264 --profile without success.
>
> Presets:
>
> --profile <string> Force the limits of an H.264 profile
> Overrides all settings.
> - baseline,main,high,high10
> --preset <string> Use a preset to select encoding settings [medium]
> Overridden by user settings.
> - ultrafast,superfast,veryfast,faster,fast
> - medium,slow,slower,veryslow,placebo
>

> So any idea what is the command?

-crf is what you want if you care more about quality than file size.
If you saw no difference in the range 18-22 then perhaps you're losing
quality elsewhere before you get to ffmpeg. Then selecting a preset
via --preset will just alter how hard libx264 tries to compress, so
it will affect file size while having very little affect on quality.

Paul.