[FFmpeg-user] need help with 'drawtext' usage

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Wed Jun 8 22:25:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 01:16:22PM -0700, pgoldweic wrote:
> I see. Thanks again for your response. Unfortunately I now run into a
> different error when I try to encode the video (using h264), as ffmpeg gives
> me an 'invalid pixel format string '-1' (error opening filters).
> I am using the following command:
> ffmpeg -i mymovie.mov -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -vf
> "drawtext=fontfile=arial.ttf:text='test'" -f mp4 mymovie.mp4
>

> I did not get the error above when I tried using a different type of movie
> instead (an 'mpg' movie). Is there a way to get ffmpeg to work with
> Quicktime movies, perhaps passing in further arguments?
> Thanks in advance

New problem => your best bet is to open a new thread, quoting the whole
command line as well as whole output.

Only advice I can give you are:
- Check that your ffmpeg knows the drawtext filter (mine which dates
  from yesterday does not know it), using ffmpeg -filters / Check that
  the ffmpeg you call is the one you think if you have more than one on
  the same system in different places (which ffmpeg).
- Check that all required arguments are there (I would expect
  coordinates).