[FFmpeg-user] getting 'Invalid pixel format string '-1' when encoding

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Jun 8 22:59:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
pgoldweic <pgoldweic at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to encode a Quicktime movie with a h264 codec in an mp4
> container. However, I get the following error message when I try to
> do so: 'Invalid pixel format string '-1'  Error opening filters!.
>
> My command is as follows:
> ffmpeg -i mymovie.mov -vcodec xlib264 -acodec copy -f mp4 mymovie.mp4

xlib264 is incorrect. Should be libx264. Can you show your complete
FFmpeg terminal output too? Also useful would be a sample input file
that is giving you the troubles if you have the ability to upload one.

If you simply want to dump the input into a new container (assuming
your input is suitable for mp4 container):

ffmpeg -i mymovie.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4

This will avoid re-encoding. Think of it as a copy and paste.