[FFmpeg-user] Codecs and containers.

Steve it at sca-uk.com
Fri Jun 10 17:03:49 CEST 2011

Hi People,

First of all, let me say how impressed by Ffmpeg and the community that
surrounds it.  This is a real example to us all of how an open-source
project can be run.

I am building a medical application with a video component that I would like
to be lossless within the application, but then can be copied or exported to
other applications via a USB flash-drive in any supported format.

I am using Kubuntu operating system with wxWidgets as a frontend (ie
GStreamer).  I'd like to be sure that within the application I have no video
copyright issues, so I am thinking of using the .mkv container format with
the ffv1 codec.  Are these compatible with each other, or can someone
suggest a better combination?

Up until now I have been using .avi with default settings (ie I don't know
which codec settings!).

Anyhow I would be grateful for your advice.

Regards

Steve