[FFmpeg-user] FFplay duration switch not working

J. Hendricks hendricks266 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:19:34 CEST 2011

Hi. I'm trying to use FFplay to display an image for exactly 5 seconds using
the -t parameter. For some reason, it does not work.

Here is an example, using the attached image:

ffplay -t 5 image.png
ffplay -t 00:00:05 image.png
ffplay -t 00:00:05.00 image.png

These commands display the image indefinitely.

ffplay -t 5 -autoexit image.png
ffplay -t 00:00:05 -autoexit image.png
ffplay -t 00:00:05.00 -autoexit image.png

These commands flash the image on the screen, but close it immediately after
rendering the solitary frame.

As another example, if you're on Windows XP, you can try this:

ffplay -t 1 -autoexit "C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Startup.wav"
ffplay -t 00:00:01 -autoexit "C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Startup.wav"
ffplay -t 00:00:01.00 -autoexit "C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Startup.wav"

(You could replace the file name with something else to fill the same
purpose.)

Neither of these commands stop after 1 second.

Is there a problem with FFplay or am I doing something wrong?

-H