[FFmpeg-user] where is my ffplay?

Jim Shupert jshupert at pps-inc.com
Fri Jun 17 19:13:30 CEST 2011

> ffplay depends on libsdl, so you should verify that SDL headers and
> libraries are installed on your system. Then you may try to do
> --enable-libsdl explicitely when configuring.
Thanks for the wisdom..
( i may be way way wrong about something here - but to check for the
hearders & libs
i think i wish to do

a sdl-config --cflags ( for headers ) , sdl-config --libs  ( for libs )

well - i do not have sdl-config

 > > sdl-config --cflags
 > > The program 'sdl-config' is currently not installed.  You can
install it
 > > by typing:
 > > sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

this leads me down a trail of dependency hell - that ends in
unInstalling the dsktop.
Really? I *must* be misunderstanding something ( it cannot be this hard )

 > > do  sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

 > >   libsdl1.2-dev: Depends: libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be
 > > installed
 > > E: Broken packages

 > >   libsdl1.2-dev: Depends: libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be
 > > installed
 > > E: Broken packages

 > > scn at aldrin:~$ sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev
 > > Reading package lists... Done
 > > Building dependency tree
 > > Reading state information... Done
 > > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
 > > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
 > > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
 > > or been moved out of Incoming.
 > > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

 > >   libglu1-mesa-dev: Depends: libgl1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be
 > > installed or
 > >                              libgl-dev
 > > E: Broken packages
 > >
 > > so i tried
 > >
 > > scn at aldrin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgl-dev
 > > Reading package lists... Done
 > > Building dependency tree
 > > Reading state information... Done
 > > Package libgl-dev is a virtual package provided by:
 > >   libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev 7.7.1-1ubuntu3
 > >   libgl1-mesa-dev 7.7.1-1ubuntu3
 > > You should explicitly select one to install.
 > > E: Package libgl-dev has no installation candidate
 > > scn at aldrin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev
 > > Reading package lists... Done
 > > Building dependency tree
 > > Reading state information... Done
 > > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
 > > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
 > > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
 > > or been moved out of Incoming.
 > > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

 > >   libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev: Depends: mesa-common-dev (=
7.7.1-1ubuntu3) but
> [...]
 > > Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
 > > The following extra packages will be installed:
 > >   icedtea-6-jre-cacao openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib
 > > Suggested packages:
 > >   sun-java6-fonts ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic
ttf-sazanami-mincho
 > > ttf-kochi-mincho
 > >   ttf-telugu-fonts ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-kannada-fonts ttf-bengali-fonts
 > > The following packages will be REMOVED:
 > >   acpi-support acpid aisleriot alsa-base alsa-utils anacron apparmor
 > > apparmor-utils apport apport-gtk
 > >   apport-hooks-medibuntu aptdaemon apturl at at-spi audacity
avahi-daemon
 > > avahi-utils blender bluefish
 > >   bluez bluez-cups brasero brasero-common brltty brltty-x11 byobu
 > > capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk
 > >   compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome
 > > compiz-plugins compizconfig-backend-gconf
 > >   computer-janitor-gtk console-setup consolekit couchdb-bin cron cups
 > > cups-driver-gutenprint dbus
 > >   dbus-x11 desktopcouch desktopvideo dkms dmsetup e2fsprogs
 > > eclipse-platform eclipse-rcp empathy
 > >   empathy-common entagged eog erlang-base erlang-crypto erlang-inets
 > > erlang-mnesia erlang-public-key
 > >   erlang-runtime-tools erlang-ssl erlang-syntax-tools erlang-xmerl
evince
 > > evolution evolution-couchdb
 > >   evolution-data-server evolution-exchange evolution-indicator
 > > evolution-plugins evolution-webcal f-spot
 > >   file-roller filezilla firefox firefox-branding firefox-gnome-support
 > > flashplugin-installer foo2zjs
 > >   foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine friendly-recovery ftp gbrainy
gcalctool
 > > gconf-defaults-service
 > >   gconf-editor gconf2 gconf2-common gdebi gdm gdm-guest-session gedit
 > > ghostscript-cups ghostscript-x
 > >   gimp gksu gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data
gnome-bluetooth
 > > gnome-codec-install
 > >   gnome-control-center gnome-disk-utility gnome-games-common
gnome-keyring
 > > gnome-mag gnome-mahjongg
 > >   gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-panel
 > > gnome-panel-data
 > >   gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-session-bin
 > > gnome-session-canberra
 > >   gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sudoku gnome-system-monitor
 > > gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal
 > >   gnome-terminal-data gnome-user-guide gnome-user-share gnome-utils
 > > gnomine gphpedit
 > >   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
 > > gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gucharmap
 > >   gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse gwibber gwibber-service hal
 > > hostname hplip ibus ibus-m17n
 > >   ibus-table icedtea6-plugin ifupdown imagemagick indicator-applet
 > > indicator-applet-session indicator-me
 > >   indicator-session indicator-sound initramfs-tools initscripts
irqbalance
 > > jockey-common jockey-gtk kbd
 > >   language-selector lftp libaccess-bridge-java
libaccess-bridge-java-jni
> [...]
 > > openprinting-ppds openshot
 > >   pcmciautils pitivi plymouth plymouth-label plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo
 > > plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text
 > >   plymouth-x11 pm-utils pm-utils-powersave-policy policykit-1
 > > policykit-1-gnome powermgmt-base ppp
 > >   pppconfig pppoeconf pptp-linux procps pulseaudio
 > > pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
 > >   pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-utils pxljr
 > > python-aptdaemon
 > >   python-aptdaemon-gtk python-desktopcouch python-desktopcouch-records
 > > python-farsight python-gconf
 > >   python-gnome2 python-gnomeapplet python-mlt2 python-papyon
 > > python-pyatspi python-speechd
 > >   python-ubuntuone python-uno python-virtkey python-webkit python-wnck
 > > quadrapassel rhythmbox
 > >   rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins
 > > rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store rsyslog samba sat4j
 > >   screen screen-resolution-extra screensaver-default-images seahorse
 > > simple-scan smplayer
 > >   smplayer-themes smplayer-translations software-center
 > > software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher splix
 > >   squareness subtitleeditor system-config-printer-gnome
 > > system-tools-backends telepathy-butterfly
 > >   telepathy-haze telepathy-salut telnet tomboy totem totem-common
 > > totem-mozilla totem-plugins
 > >   transmission-gtk tsclient ttf-mscorefonts-installer ubufox
 > > ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs
 > >   ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-standard ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-tweak
 > > ubuntu-wallpapers
 > >   ubuntuone-client-gnome udev udisks ufw update-manager update-notifier
 > > upower upstart ureadahead
 > >   usb-creator-common usb-creator-gtk util-linux vdr-plugin-mplayer
vinagre
 > > vino vlc vlc-plugin-pulse
 > >   wireless-crda x-ttcidfont-conf x11-apps x11-common x11-session-utils
 > > x11-utils x11-xfs-utils
 > >   x11-xkb-utils x11-xserver-utils xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-base
 > > xfonts-encodings xfonts-mathml
 > >   xfonts-scalable xfonts-utils xinit xorg xscreensaver-data
 > > xscreensaver-gl xserver-common xserver-xorg
 > >   xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
 > > xserver-xorg-input-mouse
 > >   xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
 > > xserver-xorg-input-wacom
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
 > > xserver-xorg-video-ati
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
 > > xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-i128
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64
 > > xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv
 > > xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-rendition
 > > xserver-xorg-video-s3
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
 > > xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
 > > xserver-xorg-video-trident
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-v4l
xserver-xorg-video-vesa
 > > xserver-xorg-video-vmware
 > >   xserver-xorg-video-voodoo xterm xulrunner-1.9.2 yelp
 > > The following NEW packages will be installed:
 > >   libdrm-nouveau1a
 > > The following packages will be upgraded:
 > >   icedtea-6-jre-cacao openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib
 > > WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
 > > This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
 > >   e2fsprogs util-linux (due to e2fsprogs) hostname upstart (due to
 > > hostname)
 > > 3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 487 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
 > > Need to get 32.7MB of archives.
 > > After this operation, 1,862MB disk space will be freed.
 > > You are about to do something potentially harmful.
 > > To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 > >

 > > ---------------
 > > the potentially harmful - has me spooked

and if i use the pkg manager  - to help me with my thinking..

symantec Quick search for sdl

installed is
libsdl1.2-dev
libsdl1.2debian-oss
libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
libsdl1.2debian-all
libsdl1.2debian
libsdl-image1.2

not installed
libsdl1.2-dev  [ maybe the dev pkg will give headers & libs ]

when try to mark for install -- it complains with
libsdl1.2-dev:
  Depends: libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed
i do a quick search for libglu1-mesa-dev   an attempt to mark for install
it complains with
libglu1-mesa-dev:
  Depends: libgl1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed or
     libgl-dev

when i try libgl1-mesa-dev

it needs mesa-common-dev

when i try mesa-common-dev
it needs
libdrm-dev

when i try libdrm-dev  :: it is a crazy long list ::

e2fsprogs (essential) will be removed
hostname (essential) will be removed
util-linux (essential) will be removed
acpi-support will be removed
acpid will be removed
aisleriot will be removed
alsa-base will be removed
alsa-utils will be removed
anacron will be removed
apparmor will be removed
apparmor-utils will be removed
apport will be removed
apport-gtk will be removed
apport-hooks-medibuntu will be removed
aptdaemon will be removed
apturl will be removed
at will be removed
at-spi will be removed
audacity will be removed
avahi-daemon will be removed
avahi-utils will be removed
blender will be removed
bluefish will be removed
bluez will be removed
bluez-cups will be removed
brasero will be removed
brasero-common will be removed
brltty will be removed
brltty-x11 will be removed
byobu will be removed
capplets-data will be removed
checkbox will be removed
checkbox-gtk will be removed
compiz will be removed
compiz-core will be removed
compiz-fusion-plugins-main will be removed
compiz-gnome will be removed
compiz-plugins will be removed
compizconfig-backend-gconf will be removed
computer-janitor-gtk will be removed
console-setup will be removed
consolekit will be removed
couchdb-bin will be removed
cron will be removed
cups will be removed
cups-driver-gutenprint will be removed
dbus will be removed
dbus-x11 will be removed
desktopcouch will be removed
desktopvideo will be removed
dkms will be removed
dmsetup will be removed
eclipse-platform will be removed
eclipse-rcp will be removed
empathy will be removed
empathy-common will be removed
entagged will be removed
eog will be removed
erlang-base will be removed
erlang-crypto will be removed
erlang-inets will be removed
erlang-mnesia will be removed
erlang-public-key will be removed
erlang-runtime-tools will be removed
erlang-ssl will be removed
erlang-syntax-tools will be removed
erlang-xmerl will be removed
evince will be removed
evolution will be removed
evolution-couchdb will be removed
evolution-data-server will be removed
evolution-exchange will be removed
evolution-indicator will be removed
evolution-plugins will be removed
evolution-webcal will be removed
f-spot will be removed
file-roller will be removed
filezilla will be removed
firefox will be removed
firefox-branding will be removed
firefox-gnome-support will be removed
flashplugin-installer will be removed
foo2zjs will be removed
foomatic-db will be removed
foomatic-db-engine will be removed
friendly-recovery will be removed
ftp will be removed
gbrainy will be removed
gcalctool will be removed
gconf-defaults-service will be removed
gconf-editor will be removed
gconf2 will be removed
gconf2-common will be removed
gdebi will be removed
gdm will be removed
gdm-guest-session will be removed
gedit will be removed
ghostscript-cups will be removed
ghostscript-x will be removed
gimp will be removed
gksu will be removed
gnome-about will be removed
gnome-applets will be removed
gnome-applets-data will be removed
gnome-bluetooth will be removed
gnome-codec-install will be removed
gnome-control-center will be removed
gnome-disk-utility will be removed
gnome-games-common will be removed
gnome-keyring will be removed
gnome-mag will be removed
gnome-mahjongg will be removed
gnome-media will be removed
gnome-media-common will be removed
gnome-nettool will be removed
gnome-orca will be removed
gnome-panel will be removed
gnome-panel-data will be removed
gnome-power-manager will be removed
gnome-screensaver will be removed
gnome-session will be removed
gnome-session-bin will be removed
gnome-session-canberra will be removed
gnome-settings-daemon will be removed
gnome-sudoku will be removed
gnome-system-monitor will be removed
gnome-system-tools will be removed
gnome-terminal will be removed
gnome-terminal-data will be removed
gnome-user-guide will be removed
gnome-user-share will be removed
gnome-utils will be removed
gnomine will be removed
gphpedit will be removed
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse will be removed
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good will be removed
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio will be removed
gstreamer0.10-sdl will be removed
gucharmap will be removed
gvfs will be removed
gvfs-backends will be removed
gvfs-bin will be removed
gvfs-fuse will be removed
gwibber will be removed
gwibber-service will be removed
hal will be removed
hplip will be removed
ibus will be removed
ibus-m17n will be removed
ibus-table will be removed
icedtea6-plugin will be removed
ifupdown will be removed
imagemagick will be removed
indicator-applet will be removed
indicator-applet-session will be removed
indicator-me will be removed
indicator-session will be removed
indicator-sound will be removed
initramfs-tools will be removed
initscripts will be removed
irqbalance will be removed
jockey-common will be removed
jockey-gtk will be removed
kbd will be removed
language-selector will be removed
lftp will be removed
libaccess-bridge-java will be removed
libaccess-bridge-java-jni will be removed
libasound2-plugins will be removed
libatspi1.0-0 will be removed
libaudio2 will be removed
libbonoboui2-0 will be removed
libbrasero-media0 will be removed
libcamel1.2-14 will be removed
libcanberra-pulse will be removed
libcompizconfig0 will be removed
libcouchdb-glib-1.0-2 will be removed
libcryptui0 will be removed
libdesktopcouch-glib-1.0-2 will be removed
libdrm-nouveau1 will be removed
libebackend1.2-0 will be removed
libebook1.2-9 will be removed
libecal1.2-7 will be removed
libedata-book1.2-2 will be removed
libedata-cal1.2-6 will be removed
libedataserver1.2-11 will be removed
libedataserverui1.2-8 will be removed
libegroupwise1.2-13 will be removed
libequinox-osgi-java will be removed
libexchange-storage1.2-3 will be removed
libgail-gnome-module will be removed
libgconf2-4 will be removed
libgconf2.0-cil will be removed
libgdata6 will be removed
libgdu0 will be removed
libgegl-0.0-0 will be removed
libggi-target-x will be removed
libggi2 will be removed
libggiwmh0 will be removed
libggiwmh0-target-x will be removed
libgksu2-0 will be removed
libglu1-xorg will be removed
libgnome-desktop-2-17 will be removed
libgnome-media0 will be removed
libgnome-pilot2 will be removed
libgnome-vfs2.0-cil will be removed
libgnome-window-settings1 will be removed
libgnome2-0 will be removed
libgnome2-common will be removed
libgnome2-perl will be removed
libgnome2-vfs-perl will be removed
libgnome2.24-cil will be removed
libgnomekbd-common will be removed
libgnomekbd4 will be removed
libgnomepanel2.24-cil will be removed
libgnomeui-0 will be removed
libgnomevfs2-0 will be removed
libgnomevfs2-common will be removed
libgnomevfs2-extra will be removed
libgstfarsight0.10-0 will be removed
libgtkhtml-editor0 will be removed
libgtkhtml3.14-19 will be removed
libgweather-common will be removed
libgweather1 will be removed
libice6 will be removed
liblpint-bonobo0 will be removed
libm17n-0 will be removed
libmagickcore2 will be removed
libmagickcore2-extra will be removed
libmagickwand2 will be removed
libmetacity-private0 will be removed
libmjpegtools-1.9 will be removed
libmlt++3 will be removed
libmlt2 will be removed
libnet-dbus-perl will be removed
libnss-mdns will be removed
liboobs-1-4 will be removed
libpanel-applet2-0 will be removed
libpolkit-gtk-1-0 will be removed
libpulse-browse0 will be removed
libpulse-mainloop-glib0 will be removed
libpulse0 will be removed
libpurple0 will be removed
libqt4-svg will be removed
libqtgui4 will be removed
librpc-xml-perl will be removed
libsdl-image1.2 will be removed
libsdl1.2debian will be removed
libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio will be removed
libsm6 will be removed
libsoup-gnome2.4-1 will be removed
libstartup-notification0 will be removed
libtelepathy-farsight0 will be removed
libtheora-bin will be removed
libubuntuone-1.0-1 will be removed
libwebkit-1.0-2 will be removed
libwnck22 will be removed
libwww-perl will be removed
libwxgtk2.8-0 will be removed
libxaw7 will be removed
libxklavier16 will be removed
libxml-parser-perl will be removed
libxml-sax-expat-perl will be removed
libxml-twig-perl will be removed
libxml-xpath-perl will be removed
libxmu6 will be removed
libxres1 will be removed
libxss1 will be removed
libxt6 will be removed
libxtst6 will be removed
libxvmc1 will be removed
libxxf86dga1 will be removed
light-themes will be removed
linux-generic will be removed
linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic will be removed
linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic will be removed
linux-image-generic will be removed
linux-sound-base will be removed
lives will be removed
logrotate will be removed
m17n-contrib will be removed
m17n-db will be removed
media-player-info will be removed
mediaexpress will be removed
melt will be removed
metacity will be removed
metacity-common will be removed
mkvtoolnix-gui will be removed
module-init-tools will be removed
mountall will be removed
mousetweaks will be removed
mplayer will be removed
mplayer-gui will be removed
nautilus will be removed
nautilus-data will be removed
nautilus-sendto will be removed
nautilus-sendto-empathy will be removed
nautilus-share will be removed
netbase will be removed
network-manager will be removed
network-manager-gnome will be removed
network-manager-pptp will be removed
network-manager-pptp-gnome will be removed
notify-osd will be removed
nspluginwrapper will be removed
ntfs-3g will be removed
ntpdate will be removed
obex-data-server will be removed
onboard will be removed
openjdk-6-jre will be removed
openoffice.org-base-core will be removed
openoffice.org-calc will be removed
openoffice.org-core will be removed
openoffice.org-draw will be removed
openoffice.org-emailmerge will be removed
openoffice.org-gnome will be removed
openoffice.org-gtk will be removed
openoffice.org-help-en-us will be removed
openoffice.org-impress will be removed
openoffice.org-math will be removed
openoffice.org-writer will be removed
openprinting-ppds will be removed
openshot will be removed
pcmciautils will be removed
pitivi will be removed
plymouth will be removed
plymouth-label will be removed
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo will be removed
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text will be removed
plymouth-x11 will be removed
pm-utils will be removed
pm-utils-powersave-policy will be removed
policykit-1 will be removed
policykit-1-gnome will be removed
powermgmt-base will be removed
ppp will be removed
pppconfig will be removed
pppoeconf will be removed
pptp-linux will be removed
procps will be removed
pulseaudio will be removed
pulseaudio-esound-compat will be removed
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth will be removed
pulseaudio-module-gconf will be removed
pulseaudio-module-x11 will be removed
pulseaudio-utils will be removed
pxljr will be removed
python-aptdaemon will be removed
python-aptdaemon-gtk will be removed
python-desktopcouch will be removed
python-desktopcouch-records will be removed
python-farsight will be removed
python-gconf will be removed
python-gnome2 will be removed
python-gnomeapplet will be removed
python-mlt2 will be removed
python-papyon will be removed
python-pyatspi will be removed
python-speechd will be removed
python-ubuntuone will be removed
python-uno will be removed
python-virtkey will be removed
python-webkit will be removed
python-wnck will be removed
quadrapassel will be removed
rhythmbox will be removed
rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder will be removed
rhythmbox-plugins will be removed
rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store will be removed
rsyslog will be removed
samba will be removed
sat4j will be removed
screen will be removed
screen-resolution-extra will be removed
screensaver-default-images will be removed
seahorse will be removed
simple-scan will be removed
smplayer will be removed
smplayer-themes will be removed
smplayer-translations will be removed
software-center will be removed
software-properties-gtk will be removed
speech-dispatcher will be removed
splix will be removed
squareness will be removed
subtitleeditor will be removed
system-config-printer-gnome will be removed
system-tools-backends will be removed
telepathy-butterfly will be removed
telepathy-haze will be removed
telepathy-salut will be removed
telnet will be removed
tomboy will be removed
totem will be removed
totem-common will be removed
totem-mozilla will be removed
totem-plugins will be removed
transmission-gtk will be removed
tsclient will be removed
ttf-mscorefonts-installer will be removed
ubufox will be removed
ubuntu-artwork will be removed
ubuntu-docs will be removed
ubuntu-minimal will be removed
ubuntu-standard will be removed
ubuntu-system-service will be removed
ubuntu-tweak will be removed
ubuntu-wallpapers will be removed
ubuntuone-client-gnome will be removed
udev will be removed
udisks will be removed
ufw will be removed
update-manager will be removed
update-notifier will be removed
upower will be removed
upstart will be removed
ureadahead will be removed
usb-creator-common will be removed
usb-creator-gtk will be removed
vdr-plugin-mplayer will be removed
vinagre will be removed
vino will be removed
vlc will be removed
vlc-plugin-pulse will be removed
wireless-crda will be removed
x-ttcidfont-conf will be removed
x11-apps will be removed
x11-common will be removed
x11-session-utils will be removed
x11-utils will be removed
x11-xfs-utils will be removed
x11-xkb-utils will be removed
x11-xserver-utils will be removed
xfonts-100dpi will be removed
xfonts-75dpi will be removed
xfonts-base will be removed
xfonts-encodings will be removed
xfonts-mathml will be removed
xfonts-scalable will be removed
xfonts-utils will be removed
xinit will be removed
xorg will be removed
xscreensaver-data will be removed
xscreensaver-gl will be removed
xserver-common will be removed
xserver-xorg will be removed
xserver-xorg-core will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-all will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-evdev will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-mouse will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse will be removed
xserver-xorg-input-wacom will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-all will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-apm will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-ark will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-ati will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-chips will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-cirrus will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-i128 will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-intel will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-mga will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-neomagic will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-nv will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-r128 will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-radeon will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-rendition will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-s3 will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-savage will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-sis will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-sisusb will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-trident will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-tseng will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-v4l will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-vesa will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-vmware will be removed
xserver-xorg-video-voodoo will be removed
xterm will be removed
xulrunner-1.9.2 will be removed
yelp will be removed
icedtea-6-jre-cacao (version 6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1) will be upgraded
to version 6b20-1.9.8-0ubuntu1~10.04.1
openjdk-6-jre-headless (version 6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1) will be
upgraded to version 6b20-1.9.8-0ubuntu1~10.04.1
openjdk-6-jre-lib (version 6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1) will be upgraded
to version 6b20-1.9.8-0ubuntu1~10.04.1
libdrm-dev (version 2.4.23-0.0) will be installed
libdrm-nouveau1a (version 2.4.23-0.0) will be installed
libkms1 (version 2.4.23-0.0) will be installed

again -- off scale spooky

-----------------
so my Q is dare i go down that road?
and if so am i hobbled in other ways?
Is there a diffrent way to get the sdl headers & libs

and the real Q in my mind is

could i have done something at the time of original ubuntu install -
that would have given me SDL
so that when i build ffmpeg -- i get ffplay

i cannot help but think - it should not be this hard.

thanks

[ my current solution is to make files on the ubuntu sys and play
(ffplay) on an openSUSE 64 system ]