[FFmpeg-user] maximum CPU utilization with ffmpeg and libx264

Richard Buteau rbuteau at rgbnetworks.com
Tue Mar 22 16:14:40 CET 2011

You actually get more throughput with X264 if you turn on hyperthreading I ran some benchmark with and without it about a year and half ago on Nehalem based systems. There was up to 15% more throughput with hyper-threading on and using all core (hyper threaded or not). I wasn't actually looking at system load but just the average fps. Maybe these tests should be run again just to make sure that is still true.