[FFmpeg-user] Stream - Minimize delay

Victor Petrescu victor.petrescu13 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:13:24 CEST 2011

Good day to all. I have a small problem:

I need to make a stream (usual way... a laptop with a webcam connected to a
public server).

On the laptop I use vlc to stream (protocol rtp, transcodation options:
mpeg-ts incapsulation, video codec: mpeg-1, 1600 kbps, 24 fps, audio codec:
mpeg audio, 192kbp).

On the server I configured a ffserver with:

ffserver.conf:

Port 8090
BindAdress 0.0.0.0

MaxClients 1000
MaxBandwidth 10000

CustomLog -

NoDaemon

<Feed feed1.ffm>

File /tmp/feed1.ffm
FileMaxSize 2000M
ACL allow 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.2

</Feed>

<Stream str.swf>
Feed feed1.ffm
Format swf
AudioChannels 2
VideoSize 640x480
VideoBufferSize 4000
VideoBitRate 6000
VideoFrameRate 24
StartSendOnKey
</Stream>

Ok... all fine (at least I think so) till now.

Now I try to stream it. So I kind of do this (in 2 terminals):

terminal 1:
#mkfifo pipe.avi
#ffserver &
#ffmpeg -i pipe.avi -r 24 http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm

terminal 2:
#mplayer -quiet -double -dumpstream rtp://192.168.1.8:5004 -dumpfile
pipe.avi

And is starting and is working ok except the delay (about 7-9 seconds). I
need to get the delay lower than 3 seconds (and I think is not impossible).