[FFmpeg-user] How to trick AVID to accept ffmpeg encoded D10 video?

Mark Himsley mark at mdsh.com
Sun May 8 18:25:42 CEST 2011

On 08/05/2011 06:04, christian fafard wrote:

> Hi Mark,

Hi Christian,

Please can you not top-post on the ffmpeg email lists.
I have taken the liberty of re-ordering your response below:

>> Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 19:55:18 +0100
>> From: mark at mdsh.com
>> To: ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org
>> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] How to trick AVID to accept ffmpeg encoded D10 video?
>>
>> On 07/05/2011 14:32, christian fafard wrote:
>>>
>>> Any idea someone??
>>>
>>> Baptiste, i know it's your field of expertise, do you have a procedure that works?
>>>
>>> Maybe the problem is the quicktime container, i don't know if Avid accept AVI for instance.
>>>
>>> I'm open to any suggestions, it's not vital for me but it's something i would like being able to do.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Christian Fafard
>>
>> What do you mean by "accept"?
>>
>> Have you tried Baptiste's FFmbc: http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/
>>
>> --
>> Mark
>>
> Hi Mark,
>
> You're right,
>
> the word 'accept' doesn't mean anything in a description of a technical problem.
>
> What i meant actually is that Avid import the video without complaining (IMX30 in a quicktime movie encoded with ffmpeg).
> But the video is a white frame all along.
>
> So i took a video that i sure is working, re-wrap to a new quicktime without re-encoding ( -vcodec copy) and it's still the same.
> So my conclusion is that it has to do with the quicktime header or something.

If I recall correctly, Avid used QuickTime to do the import of MOV
files, and QuickTime is very picky about flagging the video correctly.

I expect you didn't include "-vbsf imxdump -vtag mx3p" in your command
line. But, since you have not posted your command line this is just a
pure guess!

> And finally, no i didn't try Baptiste's ffmbc but that's exactly where i'm at right now.
> I found the source but is it possible to download windows binary somewhere?

I have sent you a private email off list.

--
Mark