[FFmpeg-user] understanding copy flag

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:49:19 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-16 9:05 AM, David Overcash wrote:
> Some codecs don't play nicely with copy...

How can that be, when the codec shouldn't even be involved?

> Also - why would you essentially
> run "cp original.avi output.avi" through FFMPEG?

I would have thought it's pretty obvious that he's trying to debug something,
(for example, why his output file is so big) and he's trying to start from an
obvious "base", ready to tweak things and see what breaks it - and he's upset
because even his obvious base seems broken. Clearly copying is not his
objective, but one step in a debugging path.

P.S. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the original file has frames missing (e.g.
it's declared as 60fps but only 30fps are present) and the 'copy' function is
obediently duplicating frames (and inserting them into the output) to tidy up
the mess.

--
Andy