[FFmpeg-user] Encoding h264 with 4:4:4 chroma

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:22:46 CET 2011

>> That is why a snapshot is offered on http://ffmpeg.org/download.html (it
>> contains current git head).

What on earth am I supposed to do with that? I am not a software engineer.
If it was a Visual Studio project, I might just about be able to load it
into the IDE and hit F6. But it isn't. So I can't.

>> PS: Compiling natively on mingw for Windows if far easier imo than
>> cross-compiling.
>
> Interesting that you should say that as I have heard others say quite
> the reverse...

Me too.

> the inconsistent build requirements and need to 'tweak' Makefile's and
> the like to accommodate complier version issues etc. (Not all libraries
> have as refined a configure system as ffmpeg's)

It's my direct experience that this is the case with almost all opensource
software. Much as the configure/make/install line is given out quite a
lot, from what I've seen it works rather rarely. Works, I mean, implying
that all of the advertised features are available, it's properly
integrated with the desktop environment, properly configured with sensible
defaults, etc.