[FFmpeg-user] Encoding h264 with 4:4:4 chroma

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Nov 1 09:24:36 CET 2011

Compiled from git as per these instructions:

4:4:4 chroma with libx264 appears to work fine now.  For example, I am
able to do fully lossless h264 encoding (including full 4:4:4 chroma)
via this command:
ffmpeg -i input_file -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv444p -crf 0 output_file

I've been testing with already compressed 4:2:0 input, however, since
I am not at my workstation right now where my input files reside.  But
the format information (e.g. it claims to be 4:4:4) of the output is
correct, at least.  I will test more thoroughly when I have access to
my workstation again.

Thanks much, Carl!

--Nathan