[FFmpeg-user] AC-3 encoding questions

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Tue Nov 1 17:57:31 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>> > (Complete, uncut output missing.)
>> >
>> > If the wav file really has no channel layout specified, the ac3 encoder will
>> > guess the layout (and says so if I am not wrong) as 5.1.
>> > Only specify a layout if you don't like what the encoder guesses.
>>
>> Hi Carl. Sorry, here's full output. Obviously the channel layout is
>> wrong, but you get the idea:
>
> No, because I suspect it is working fine if you do not specify -channel_layout
> (that should come before the input file imo), or which layout would you like for
> six cahnnel audio?

Here is the layout I would like: FL|FR|FC|LFE|BL|BR

Assuming that "BL" and "BR" mean "back left" and "back right," which
would be surround channels. That is how the channels are arranged in
the WAV file.

Do you know which channel_layout number I need to use to achieve this?
I'll try putting it before -i as you suggested.