[FFmpeg-user] Incomplete libavcodec in Ubuntu 10.04?

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 03:26:10 CET 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:20:42 -0500
Constantin Savtchenko <csavtche at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>  I am attempting to compile a program which uses the avcodec and
> avutil libraries.  The program fails to compile because
> AVMEDIA_TYPE_VIDEO is undeclared and AVPacket is not defined.  I see
> that the libraries on ffmpeg.org are complete with the necessary
> declaration and definition though.  I am unable to remove avcodec
> using my package manager because an incredibly large package (ROS) is
> reliant on it and will be removed as well.  Thus my question is two
> fold.  Is it a known problem for Ubuntu 10.04 to have
> outdated/incomplete ffmpeg libraries?  Is there a way to use ubuntu's
> package manager and update my avcodec libraries?  Thank you all for
> any help.
>
> Constantin S
>
> PS - A comment in my libraries makes mention of AVPacket, yet AVPacket
> is not defined.  What's going on?

I have used a way to install a ffmpeg with shared libaries enabled and
keep the original ffmpeg in the Debian.

1, first uninstall ffmpeg and its libraries(such as libavcodec, etc.),
and some packages(such as gnome-desktop-environment,
gnome-desktop-environment includes totem, gnash, sound-juicer, etc..).
I recorded the packages be purged under Ubuntu 10.10:
sudo apt-get purge libavutil-dev libavutil50 libavutil-extra-50 \
libavcodec-dev libavcodec52 libavcodec-extra-52 libavformat-dev \
libavformat52 libavformat-extra-52 libavdevice-dev libavdevice52 \
libavdevice-extra-52 libavfilter-dev libavfilter1 libavfilter-extra-1 \
libswscale-dev libswscale0 libswscale-extra-0 libpostproc-dev \
libpostproc51 libpostproc-extra-51 gnome-desktop-environment

2, Compile and install ffmpeg into /usr/local from source.

3, Install original Debian ffmpeg and the packages to be purged in the
first setup.

It works for me, only for reference.