[FFmpeg-user] fixing videos that don't start with keyframes

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Nov 10 17:40:03 CET 2011

Matthew Morgan <lytithwyn <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I mainly just need to know if it is possible using ffmpeg (and if so,
> how) to trim everything off the beginning of a video file up to the
> first keyframe.

This is nowadays FFmpeg's default.
The reason this was changed where many reports like yours, I am not sure if the
discussion is completely over, but for the moment FFmpeg tries to skip the
initial non-key frames.
There probably are videos for which this does not work, but testing (and
reporting) about this is very welcome! Please consider opening a report on
http://avcodec.org/trac/ffmpeg if your problem is reproducible with current git
head.

Carl Eugen