[FFmpeg-user] Audio Stream Mapping issue

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 17:16:39 CET 2011

On 15/11/11 17:20, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 05:03:53PM +0000, Tim Nicholson wrote:
[...]
>> With your help I think I have it sorted in my own mind, now. But I
>> think the doc could be improved.
>>

> Certainly, and such changes are always welcome.
>
>>> So if you want to fix the documentation, you should IMO just reword in a
>>> sense to explicit the "only one pick per stream type". I'm not a native
>>> English speaker so I'm sure you will be able to propose a better wording
>>> than me; feel free to send a patch on ffmpeg-devel. If you don't, I'll
>>> take the time to of course.
>>
>> Never tried submitting a patch so will haver to bone up on how to do it...
>>

> For such a trivial patch you can just write here the new paragraph, I'll
> write the patch and put your name in the credits. You can also try the
> "hard way": http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Submitting-patches-1

Here is my suggestion

-------------cut--------------------
By default ffmpeg includes only one stream of each type (video, audio,
subtitle) present in input files and adds them to each output file.
It picks the "best" of each based upon the following criteria;
for video it is the stream with the highest resolution, for audio the
stream with the most channels, for subtitle it's the first subtitle stream.
In the case where several streams of the same type rate equally, the
lowest numbered stream is chosen.

If you are happy to  submit it then meanwhile I will have a play at all
the git stuff required for doing it the "hard way" so hopefully I will
be better placed to be more useful next time...

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/