[FFmpeg-user] parser not found for codec pcm_s16le, packets or times may be invalid.

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Nov 23 17:19:29 CET 2011

Le duodi 2 frimaire, an CCXX, Peter B. a écrit :
> When transcoding a file with the current git-version of ffmpeg, I
> receive warnings that do not appear in earlier versions:
>
> [avi @ 0x96ad220] parser not found for codec pcm_s16le, packets or times
> may be invalid.
> [avi @ 0x96ad220] parser not found for codec ffv1, packets or times may
> be invalid.

> The transcoding itself runs fine, in both cases.

The warning says that the packets or time _may_ be invalid, not that they
actually will be.

It seems that your setting does not actually need the information found by
the parser. For PCM, that could be expected. For ffv1, I guess there are no
B-frames.

This warning seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I realize that
there are lots of codecs that work fine without a parser even if the format
thinks it needs one. I will think about it some more.

In the meantime, just ignore the warning: if it works, then it means it was
harmless.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George