[FFmpeg-user] Long delay on encoded f4v files

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Mon Oct 10 11:02:12 CEST 2011

* James Field on Monday, October 10, 2011 at 09:04:32 +0100
> I am encountering problems with long buffer times on encoded
> f4v files once converted using ffmpeg.
>
> When I had been converting them via Adobe Media Encoder
> manually there was no issue but as soon as I started using
> ffmpeg to encode I am waiting 5 - 15 seconds for the clips to
> display (stream/start playing) where previously they appeared
> straight away.
>
> My conversion command line call is:
>
> ffmpeg -i $in -s 1180x664 -ar 32000 -ab 48k -vcodec libx264 -vpre slow -b 2100k -f mp4 $outFVideo
>
> Is there anything anyone can spot that might be causing the
> issue or that I could try to improve the situation.  I am new
> to the world of ffmepg and any help would be gratefully
> received as the documentation is at times confusing.

qt-faststart $outFVideo $finalized

Google for "moov atom qt-faststart". qt-faststart is distributed
with ffmpeg. It doesn't build and install automatically though.
In the ffmpeg source directory after building ffmpeg:

make tools/qt-faststart
sudo install tools/qt-faststart /usr/local/bin/

Flowplayer                 http://flowplayer.org
Flowplayer on Facebook     http://www.facebook.com/flowplayer