[FFmpeg-user] RealVideo 8 encoding, possible?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:55:09 CEST 2011

I have a need to encode real-time video from a webcam into RealVideo
8. Before someone asks why or warns me against it, let me tell you
that this video is to be viewed by ancient computers which already
have a port of realplayer 8 and the realvideo codec optimized to
display 320x240 at 30fps on a 400 mhz transmeta crusoe cpu.

That´s why I need the video to be rv8 and not another codec.

The question is: can FFMPEG produce RV8 ?. If not, anyone here knows
any other open source solution (besides realencoder, which is not).

Finally, I remember 10 years ago there were producs (ISA or PCI
boards) that did RealVideo G2 encoding on hardware (on a chip). Is
there any hardware product (failing the above, that is, using FFMPEG)
capable of encoding rv8 in hardware, with a minimum of cpu use?

TIA.

FC