[FFmpeg-user] how to detect changes between frames - for a very simple AVI video where most of the frames are exactly identical (just a sporadically updating computer screen capture)

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Oct 27 10:18:09 CEST 2011

Stefan Scott Alexander wrote:
> ffmpeg does lots of stuff, so I basically am hoping someone can point me to
> the commands which allow frame-by-frame comparisons,
> plus outputting timestamps.

I'm not sure if ffmpeg can do this.

Maybe you want to take a look at "shotdetect" [1]. It's designed to not
only detect scene cuts, but also outputs the frame at that position as
an image, and generates an XML file with additional data, such as frame
offset, etc. ;)

In case you'd like to use it, I suggest applying the a patch I've
created [2], which fixes some minor issues and adds a few nice features.

Pb