[FFmpeg-user] Encoding h264 with 4:4:4 chroma

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 09:09:05 CET 2011

On 30/10/11 15:49, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Phil Rhodes<phil_rhodes<at>  rocketmail.com>  writes:
>
>>> This is a very broken version of FFmpeg, please test latest git head.
>>
>> It would be helpful if this project pointed people towards binaries.
>
> The OP uses a Linux distribution. Binaries may make sense for Windows (I am not
> so sure), but they are definitely not useful on a Linux distribution (where
> ./configure&&  make work fine)

I would agree with you if simply compiling a vanilla build. However if
you want to add in third party library support things can start to get a
little trickier, for example the distro's devel packages may contain
incompatible versions of the required library requiring building from
scratch.

>> I have little idea what a "git" is and where to find its "head".
>
> That is why a snapshot is offered on http://ffmpeg.org/download.html (it
> contains current git head).
>
> Carl Eugen
>
> PS: Compiling natively on mingw for Windows if far easier imo than
> cross-compiling.

Interesting that you should say that as I have heard others say quite
the reverse...

I have found the biggest issue to be the third party libraries and the
inconsistent build requirements and need to 'tweak' Makefile's and the
like to accommodate complier version issues etc. (Not all libraries have
as refined a configure system as ffmpeg's)

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/