[FFmpeg-user] Encoding h264 with 4:4:4 chroma

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Mon Oct 31 22:31:56 CET 2011

> This is a very broken version of FFmpeg, please test latest git head.

I've now tested with ffmpeg 0.8.4 from this repo:
https://launchpad.net/~jon-severinsson/+archive/ffmpeg
And using pix_fmt (e.g. "-pix_fmt yuv444p") still does not work to
make libx264 encode with 4:4:4 chroma sampling.

I will gladly test with git head next, but can I first get explicit
confirmation that this is even supposed to work yet?  And, if it is,
what command line parameter is supposed to trigger 4:4:4 chroma
encoding for libx264?  Am I doing it right with pix_fmt?

If it's not implemented yet, that's fine, and I'll just wait until it
is.  But I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to get this to
work if it isn't implemented yet.

Thanks!

--Nathan