[FFmpeg-user] extract all key frames from a video

lovelove googol at wolke7.net
Thu Sep 8 09:50:37 CEST 2011

tank pranav wrote:

> This is pranav, I am using ffmpeg for video ts file to image conversion by
> giving following command.
>
> ffmpeg -i video_file.ts destination_directory/img_%05d.jpeg
>
> it generates images in to  destination_directory. But it generates some
> gray color frames in very begining part. and those number of gray color
> images is generated in every video ts files. number does not remain fixed
> , in some ts files those gray color images are 70 to 80, in some other
> video file it remains 2000-5000.

Normally this occurs when the first frame of your video is not a key frame,
so subsequent dependent frames cannot be properly decoded (hence the gray
images). The application should recover from this condition upon reaching
the next key frame. (Please start your own thread instead of thread
hijacking with an unrelated problem.)