[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg installed properly? Noob

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Sep 14 01:50:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:21:29 -0600
Tom Step <t.step at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tyring to install ffmpeg on my Mac (OS 10.6.8) to learn CLI. Used
> MacPorts to do install, it came back with a ton of errors, then did
> port clean ffmpeg, then:
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
> Checked out revision 26402.

FFmpeg uses Git now. The SVN repository is outdated. You should switch
to the Git repository as the last SVN commit was in January 2011 (or
simply download a Git snapshot):

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=snapshot;h=HEAD;sf=tgz

> ./configure --enable-shared --disable-mmx --arch=x86_64

--disable-mmx was used for PowerPC I think. I don't think you need it
for the recent architecture. But IANAMacUser.

More importantly, if you want mp3 encoding support, you need to install
lame and build ffmpeg with --enable-libmp3lame.

> shoeis-computer:Volumes shoei$ ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/Hunger.m4a mp3 -ab
> 192k ~/Desktop/Hunger.mp3

Your command is telling ffmpeg that your output is a file named "mp3".
Once you recompile ffmpeg with --enable-libmp3lame the remove the
superfluous "mp3" from your command and it might work, and if not then
add "-acodec libmp3lame".