[FFmpeg-user] Strange result with qscale

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Wed Apr 4 22:13:56 CEST 2012

To upload video's to FaceBook I want to make the video's smaller,
without degrading the quality too much. I my case that became
'-qscale 4'. The filesize has then gone from 61 MB to 16 and the file
quality is still good. With 5 I start to see blocking.

But the strange thing is the following. With the different values for
qscale, I get the following file sizes (my input-file was 61 MB):
|--------+-----|
| qscale |  MB |
|--------+-----|
|      1 |  45 |
|      2 |  45 |
|      3 |  23 |
|      4 |  16 |
|      5 |  12 |
|      6 |  11 |
|      7 | 8.8 |
|      8 | 7.8 |
|      9 | 6.8 |
|     10 | 6.0 |
|     11 | 5.6 |
|     12 | 5.3 |
|     13 | 5.1 |

Why give 1 and 2 the same file sizes?

For people that use ffmpeg and BASH: In my BASH-group I am posting
about a script to fetch video through your webcam:
    http://tinyurl.com/BashNederlands

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer