[FFmpeg-user] A/V sync problems with h264/aac video fragment

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:48:46 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Tom Evans <tevans.uk <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> > It seems I need to go down to speed 0.7 on my hardware
>> > (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz / GeForce 450 GTS)
>>
>> Any reason why you are not using VDPAU? With hw acceleration, that
>> should be more than playable with that hardware.
>
> For most real-world combinations, CPU is faster than VDPAU.
> (1080p50 is generally too much for VDPAU,
> at least with MPlayer and pre-Gefore 520 hardware.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Hmm, that has not been my (admittedly limited) experience. My 2GHz
Core 2 Duo cannot play back even low bitrate 1080p without frame
dropping (mplayer, vo xv). My only two vdpau cards I've used are a
8400 GS (until the fan blew up) and a 520, perhaps I wasn't coming
across much 1080p content whilst I had the 8400 GS.

The 520 certainly handles anything I throw at it, bluray, HD broadcast, rips...

Thanks for the info

Tom