[FFmpeg-user] loseless cropping from 1980x1088 to 1080 possible?

gildororonar at mail-on.us gildororonar at mail-on.us
Thu Apr 26 05:52:36 CEST 2012

Hello. I've got lots of video from a friend in resolution of
1980x1088, and my screen resolution is 1980x1080. I hope to crop the 8
pixels from bottom so that my movie player doesn't have to shrink the
movie while playing.

When I search the Internet for parameters for croping, I found people
mentioning 1980x1080 video are actually stored as 1980x1088, that the
player cropped the 8 pixels from the bottom while playing, because the
codecs for such high-definition are always using 16x16 pixel blocks as
basic elements for storing video. I cannot quote these articles now
because my phone's browser doesn't have history feature, but I am
pretty sure people said that.

So I think to myself if I crop it the usual way, I'd be stupid. I
should be able to change the video file header so that the player crop
the video while playing back, a.k.a. cropping it loselessly. Yet
"cropping loselessly" didn't yield any useful search result.

So is it in theory correct that I can "loselessly" crop the 8 pixels?
If so, is ffmpeg the right tool for this purpose?

Thanks!