[FFmpeg-user] Interlaced Scaling

Robert Nagy ronag89 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:14:34 CEST 2012

I'm trying to figure out interlaced scaling and would appreciate some
advice.

As far as I have understood there are two ways to do interlaced scaling.

Deinterlace, scale and then re-interlace

-vf yadif=1:-1,scale=w:h,tinterlace=4

and then "interlace-aware scaling"

-vf scale=w:h:interl=1

What are the pros and cons of these respectively? I guess the first option
would result in fields "bleeding" into each other?

How does "interlace-aware scaling" conceptually work? From what I guess, it
is the same as splitting an interlaced frame into two half height frames
(for each field), scale that, and then re-interlace?