[FFmpeg-user] MPEG: embedding metadata is not working

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Aug 7 14:56:12 CEST 2012

Quoting Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>:

> Le primidi 21 thermidor, an CCXX, Peter B. a écrit :
>> I'd like to embed some metadata (title, archive signature, ...) into
>> an existing .mpg file (mpeg-PS), using the following command:
>>
>> //---------------------
>> $ ffmpeg -i video.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy -metadata
>> title="Title Test" output.mpg
>> //---------------------
>>
>> I've googled for any examples, and found examples in the "FFmpeg
>> MultimediaWiki" [1], and the syntax shown there matches mine.
>>
>> I would have expected that "output.mpg" now has the title metadata
>> set to "Title Test", but no metadata is written to the generated
>> file :(
>> (I've verified using ffprobe and GSpot):
>
> Does it work if you produce Matroska instead of MPEG-PS?
>
> I have not looked into things closely, but I would not be surprised if
> MPEG-PS was just not capable of storing arbitrary metadata.

Hm.
I must admit that I have silently assumed that it could store at least
the title, but I've now googled for metadata and MPEG-PS, and I can't
seem to find any concrete proof whether it's possible or not - which
in case of a popular format like MPEG-PS would suggest: *not* :(

With .avi as well as .mkv it works as expected.

I've found a nice collection of MPEG-2 standard papers [1], but
honestly couldn't figure out which one *might* contain metadata
definitions.

So for now, I'll just assume that MPEG-PS can't hold metadata.

Thanks again,
Pb