[FFmpeg-user] Fatal errors

agowad at gmail.com agowad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:37:41 CEST 2012

Hi Carl

>> I was wondering if there is any list of ffmpeg errors
>> that should be considered as fatal? Fatal for me means
>> that there is a risk that output file was not properly
>> generated.
>
>A risk?

Yes, I want to be sure that the output file was successfully generated and that there is no risk that it is anyhow corrupted. I don't know much about ffmpeg, and I assume that it can exit with code 0 but at the same time write to the output some errors that may (or may not) affect a generated video. This is why I used word risk.

>Please understand that afaict the developers do not see
>error strings as part of the API, so whatever you are
>trying to do will definitely break fast.
>
>Try instead to explain what you want to do, perhaps
>someone on the list can help you.

I am using ffmpeg.exe to convert video to mp4 format (among other things). I don't remember why but (I assume) there was a reason why I decided to analyse ffmpeg output for errors (maybe exit code hasn't worked for me in some cases).
So what I want to do is to detect when ffmpeg fails to create completely correct converted file.

Regards
Dawid