[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG BadCursor Error with x11grab

PhiL peili at vollbio.de
Tue Aug 14 15:00:17 CEST 2012

I am using XVFB, ffmpeg to do screen capture on a 'headless' server in the AWS cloud on Ubuntu.

I am using this ffmpeg setting (which has worked before on my local machine)

ffmpeg -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 640x480 -i :0.0 -b 30k -qscale 1 -s 640x480 -r 15 -f flv capture.flv

in ffmpeg I get:
 [x11grab @ 0x2667540] shared memory extension found
  X Error of failed request: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  142 (XFIXES)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  25 (XFixesGetCursorImageAndName)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x200001
  Serial number of failed request:  14

See also: http://pastebin.com/kHPw1S7c

Others have hit this and had relatively minor changes.
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/KRYDE/X11-Protocol-Other-18/t/XFIXES-2.t

# Set a cursor before attempting to read back the image. With xvfb of
# x.org 1.11.4 at startup an attempt to XFixesGetCursorImage() or
# XFixesGetCursorImageAndName() before a cursor has been set results in a
# BadCursor error.

But not sure how to patch.

Best regards,

Phil