[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe documentation seems mixed up with ffmpeg docs

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 14 16:46:23 CEST 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:26:06 Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 02:43:02PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> > L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXX, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> > > Some parts should be moved to ffmpeg.texi (for example Codec options
> > > only apply to ffmpeg, same for stream specifiers).
> >
> > What about completely splitting the man pages?
> >
> > man ffmpeg    -> directly ffmpeg-related options
> > man ffplay    -> directly ffplay-related options
> > man ffprobe   -> directly ffprobe-related options
> > man ffserver  -> directly ffserver-related options and config file syntax
> > man ffcodecs  -> all codecs options
> > man ffformats -> all formats options
> > man fffilters -> all filters docs
> > man ffmisc    -> syntax conventions, etc.
> >
> > That is what zsh does, and I always found this very practical: when I am
> > looking for a way to convert the contents of a variable to uppercase, I
> > do not want to find keystrokes to convert a word in the edited command
> > to uppercase, several dozens of pages later.
>
> +1 for this, I was talking about that with Stefano the other day, and it
> seems it was already proposed a while ago but got rejected for various
> reasons.
>
> nit: I'm not sure about using the "ff" prefix for the other manpages. I'd
> better use "ffmpeg-", so ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe, ffserver, ffmpeg-codecs,
> ffmpeg-formats, ffmpeg-filters, ffmpeg-eval, ffmpeg-...
>
> [...]

Yes, please. That would be much easier to work with (from a user who has to
refer to the man pages quite regularly).

As a general comment, on the weekend I was trying to figure out how to apply a
filter (for the first time!) using the new paradigm and figure out the syntax
for the setpts filter. I was pleasasntly surprised to see how much the man
page has improved in recent times! Thanks to those responsible. :-)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au