[FFmpeg-user] Working with .YUV files

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Aug 15 11:55:34 CEST 2012

fb <fatemeh.bagherpour <at> gmail.com> writes:

>     Stream #0:1(eng): Video: vc1 (Advanced) (WVC1 / 0x31435657), yuv420p,
> 1280x720, 5942 kb/s, 29.97 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
 _^^^^^^^^_

> root <at> administrator:~# ffmpeg -s 720*576 -i WildLife.yuv wildLife.flv
                                      _^^^^^^^_

(I believe it is common usage on this mailing list to tell people
that it is not a good idea to use ffmpeg as root.)

I hope this solves your problem.

> My main problem is that ffmpeg doesnt support HWAcceleration
> Encoding, so I want to decode a video using ffmpeg and then pass
> the output to my CUDA based code to encode it using GPU.

Afair, it is commonly agreed here that this produces bad quality,
and it is unclear if it has any performance advantage on
real-world hardware.

(Or in other words: "It has only disadvantages.")

Carl Eugen