[FFmpeg-user] Cutting video at i-frames to avoid recoding

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:08:53 CEST 2012

Experiment? You came up with some pretty decent-looking suggestions
yourself. I suspect your concern is whether ffmpeg will ensure that start
time and duration coincide in some way with I-frames. With utilities like
Avidemux (and VirtualDub with an H.264 decoder) you can see where the
I-frames are in your source footage. Then you can run some test "copy
encodes" with ffmpeg and evaluate results?

Failing all else with ffmpeg, Avidemux should do the job for you. Manually
set the cutting boundaries at I-frames.