[FFmpeg-user] resolution changed mid video - FFMPEG

Dr Peter A Barlow peter at redcliffmicro.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 20:14:01 CEST 2012

I have a source video (mpeg2video) which I'm transcoding to x264. The source contains 2 different programs recorded from TV. One is in 4:3 AR and the other 16:9 AR. When I play the source file through VLC the player correctly changes size to show the video at the correct AR. So far so good.

When I transcode the conversion process auto detects the AR from the first few frames and then transcodes the whole video using this AR. If the 16:9 section comes first then the whole conversion is done in 16:9 and the 4:3 section looks stretch horizontally. If the 4:3 section is at the start of the source file then the whole transcode is done in 4:3 and the 16:9 section looks squashed horizontally.

No black bars are ever visible.

Here's my command..

nice -n 17 ffmpeg -i source.mpg -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ab 192k -async 1 -copyts -vcodec libx264 -b 1250k -threads 2 -level 31 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -scodec copy -deinterlace output.mkv

I don't fully understand what's going on. How do I get the same 'change in AR' mid video in the output file that I have in the input video?

Thanks for any help with this. Peter