[FFmpeg-user] Cat 2 mp4 files?

. peace at AleksandrSolzhenitsyn.net
Fri Dec 7 12:25:03 CET 2012

On 12/07/2012 04:42 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM, . <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:

>>> So, using the concat input filter. The example specified there looks like this:
>>>
>>> ffplay concat:split1.mpeg\|split2.mpeg\|split3.mpeg
>>>
>>> Yours looked like this:
>>>
>>> ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4|tg2.mp4 WOOF.mp4
>>>
>>> Spot the difference(s).
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tom
>> Yes, I do. However, what does this mean? "Note that you may need to
>> escape the character "|" which is special for many shells."
>>
>> Found at- http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#concat
>>
>> What does ffplay have to do with ffmpeg?
>>
>> Using the command/code of- ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4\| tg2.mp4\| WOOF.mp4
>>
>> I get the following error message- [NULL @ 0x96e33e0] Unable to find a
>> suitable output format for 'concat:'
>> concat:: Invalid argument
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>
> I thought I had made it crystal clear, but apparently not. Apart from
> not specifying the input with '-i', you still cannot see the
> difference between "concat:tg1.mp4\|tg2.mp4" and "concat: tg1.mp4\|
> tg2.mp4". One is correct, and identical to the example in the manual,
> and one is incorrect, and is what you have been trying, repeatedly.
>
> ffmpeg takes an input and an output, so start with that:
>
>   ffmpeg -i <someinput> <someoutput>
>
> Your output is called 'WOOF.mp4', substitute that in:
>
>   ffmpeg -i <someinput> WOOF.mp4
>
> Your want your input to be the concat filter:
>
>   ffmpeg -i "concat:<somecontactspec>" WOOF.mp4
>
> You want to concatenate "tg1.mp4" and "tg2.mp4"
>
>   ffmpeg -i "concat:tg1.mp4\|tg2.mp4" WOOF.mp4
>
> Note that this still probably won't do what you want, due to the
> limitations Carl mentioned earlier.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom
Tom,

I got it now.  But being the numbskull that I am in your last example I
still included the quote marks concluding that, "well, Tom put them in
there so they must belong there". Well, they don't. So having removed
the quote marks;

ffmpeg -i concat:tg1.mp4\|tg2.mp4 WOOF.mp4

At least ffmpeg tries to do something and not give me an error message. I'll take a look at what Carl said previously and see if I can make some sense of it. I work best by employing "reverse engineering". Give me a working example and I can tailor it to my purpose.

Thanks everyone for the help.