[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg input, output and config

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 8 17:48:40 CET 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 02:49:52 Zac Harvey wrote:
> Thanks @maujhsn - I completely understand that multi-questions are
> discouraged here. Of everything that I asked the one that is burning the
> biggest hole in my brain is how ffmpeg accepts input from an actual device.
> Since this is software that can run on Linux I assume I pass in the device
> as an input somehow, perhaps specifying /dev/mycamera as one of the inputs.
>
> Can you or anyone else at least tell me if I'm on track here, or way off
> base? And if way off base, is there a specific part of the documentation of
> YouTube video you can point me towards. Thanks again for any and all help.

Zac,

Welcome to the list. Firstly, please don't top-post here. It is considered
rude as it is against the conventions of the list. Interleaved replies are
preferred, bottom posting is better than top. Please trim the quoted comments
to only what is necessary to establish context. :-)

Yes, you can read directly from a device using ffmpeg. Have you checked out
the online documentation at the FFmpeg web site? I'm pretty sure it gives
examples.

If you are using a modern kernel that supports v4l2, then you should be able
to specify the device name as you suggested with the format switch -f v4l2 for
the input. (That is Video 4 Linux 2 so v-4-Lower_case_L-2 just in case your
display font doesn't clearly show it).

Then there is the man page (which has been definitely improved in recent
times) and this list. Google is your friend, too - many others have written
guides to achieving specific tasks with FFmpeg.

HTH.

(BTW, I am not an expert, just another user.) :-)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au