[FFmpeg-user] creating h264 .mp4 MBAFF tff/bff h264 with AAC audio

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 18 12:11:40 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Albert Scholtalbers
<compuvision.sr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thx for reply.
> I found a tool calles Winff which has a lot of default settings, so it its
> easier to understand the construction of parameters as the current manual
> has a steep threshold and the lack of website like 'FFmpeg for dummies'.
>
> I found some code and it seems to work
> !!!  -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1  !!!  in
> f:\ffmpeg.exe -i "f:\sample.mpg" -vcodec h264 -b 1500k  -flags +ildct+ilme
> -x264opts tff=1 -strict -2 -acodec aac -ab 128k f:\output.mp4
>
> I'm a coder myself, but would option like:
> -interlaced=yes -fieldorder=tff
>
> be a littelbit more self explaining than:  '-flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts
> tff=1'

Maybe so, but it means each time a new feature is added to libx264,
ffmpeg has to be changed. As you are a coder, you can understand that
this causes a support issue - ffmpeg would be tightly coupled to the
version of x264, and if you had a newer or an older version of x264
then you could have compilation issues.

Passing the x264 options through -x264opts allows ffmpeg to support
many versions of x264, and new features added to x264 can be accessed
immediately, without having to make any changes to ffmpeg.

> Maybe a little of topic, Why don't FFmpeg uses the output of something like
> mediainfo to define the input, which you can upload to a website and via
> that same website define the ouput via radiobuttons, selectionboxes for:
> container, codec, framerate, scaling, resolution, birate/quality etc and it
> creates the command line for you. It would save a lot of questions and
> lowers the treshold for new users. Once this wiki is created it could serve
> for many software products like HandBrake, VLC, Mencoder etc, etc. Just a
> thought.

mediainfo is a dirty word on this list, it provides it's own
determination of what a file is, which may or not be what ffmpeg
determines. Handbrake, VLC and mencoder all use ffmpeg internally.

Cheers

Tom