[FFmpeg-user] avformat_free_context function is not able to free the stuff that was cached by avcodec_encode_video2

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Dec 24 10:37:05 CET 2012

Le quartidi 4 nivôse, an CCXXI, Harald Jordan a écrit :
> Hm, that is hard to tell, the way ffmpeg and my code works is different: i
> have a dll thats runtime stays alive for multiple independent transcoding
> runs, ffmpeg ends it's runtime everytime a file is ready transcoded.
> So I assume even if there is a problem in ffmpeg base application, it is not
> worth the effort of debugging? ;-)

The ffmpeg command-line tool is the test bed for the libraries: even though
it is not technically necessary, it it tested and debugged for unfreed
memory at the end. So are the examples.

So yes, if your program exhibits a memleak that ffmpeg does not show, it is
probably something wrong in your program.

Please do not top-post on ffmpeg's mailing-lists.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George