[FFmpeg-user] any hardware accelerated h.264 encoder works with FFMPEG ?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 04:07:49 CET 2012

I´m doing casual HD H.264 re-encoding on a single-core Atom netbook and the
speed is abysmal, around 1 frame per second.

I´ve seen on Amazon.com some "h.264 encoder hardware accelerator" that
plugs into a usb 2.0 port.

My guess is that this is some DSP with the h.264 encding algorithm and that
some custom and proprietary plugin designed to work with Windows and Mac
commercial video editing apps makes use of it.

The $1M dollar question, of course, is if FFMPEG can use those devices for
H.264 compression offloading off the cpu. Or maybe the same could be
accomplished by using the GPU? (on systems that have one that´s worth it).

TIA for any pointers, opinions...

FC
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell