[FFmpeg-user] Building a video on the fly?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Feb 4 18:17:22 CET 2012

Le sextidi 16 pluviôse, an CCXX, John Dexter a écrit :
> Now I know I can save all frames to individual image files and then build a
> video, but I'm not sure it will be practical in our case. So I wondered if
> ffmpeg command-line tools provide any way to build a video "on the fly" -
> e.g each rendered frame gets saved to a file and ffmpeg is told to add this
> to an existing video, then the image file is deleted. Since I'm pretty sure
> video encoding requires looking forwards (and maybe backwards?) several
> frames it seems a bit of a long shot, but it seems worth checking first.

If your content is constant format and framerate, you can just concatenate
the uncompressed frames and obtain a rawvideo steam that the ffmpeg command
line tool can handle seamlessly.

If the content is not constant, especially with regard to framerate, you
need some kind of container format to carry the information, and that makes
things more complicated.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George