[FFmpeg-user] Splicing/Trimming video

Joshua Grauman jnfo-c at grauman.com
Fri Feb 10 16:11:50 CET 2012

Thanks. I sort of feared that would be the only way. I've used MP4Box to
cat video streams together before, and this allowed me to work directly on
mp4s, so maybe that's easiest rather than converting to flv and back? I
must admit I don't fully understand why ffmpeg doesn't do this, the
difference between the containers and streams, and particularly which
tools are designed for which aspects of the process.

It seems like maybe I'm using the wrong tool for the job? Or is it just a
necessity when doing work in this area to have to use multiple tools?
Should I be aware of any other commandline (Linux) tools for
cutting/splicing/joining video files (mine are mp4s).