[FFmpeg-user] web videos with flv

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 17 17:59:54 CET 2012

Am 17.02.2012 17:51, schrieb Maurice Randall:
>> From: "Reindl Harald"
>
>> in other words: you should not use ".flv" as extension if you use
>> H264 and take isteand a mpeg-container!
>
> You should check out Adobe's sight and notice how flv extentions and
> flv containers with H264 are fully supported.

you should check if devices like iPhone / iPad are working
with .flv - they will not! they do with .m4v/mp4

> If someone needs an flv container and wishes to put H264 in it, then
> that is what they should choose. Choosing mpeg container is not
> correct when you need an flv. Everyone has a particular purpose, that
> is why there is so much variety with FFMPEG.

you missed "web videos" in the subject

NOBODY needs FLV container for this
in context "web videos" you nedd the most supported combination
or would you make two H264 videos for different devices?

> And by the way, aren't there restrictions on the use of foul language
> in this mailing list? Perhaps kids under the age of 15 shouldn't be
> allowed

perhaps i have much more expierience like you on the topic since
i am maintaining a ffmpeg-wrapper for web-video-systems since years
which works on every device out there from IPhone, Flash or Android

so please stop explaining me the world with phrases like "FLV is
not a codec, it is only a container" which is proven wrong and
stop educate people searching a optimal combination codec/container
in the wrong direction

try to learn some things from real life like how different devices
are acting if they do not like the extension like ALL APLLE SOFTWARE
is refusing ".php" even if you tell them as clear as possible
in teh HTTP-Header what content type you are delivering