[FFmpeg-user] web videos with flv

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 17 18:54:43 CET 2012

Am 17.02.2012 18:51, schrieb Fernanda Rebelatto:
> Em 17 de fevereiro de 2012 14:41, Reindl Harald
> <h.reindl at thelounge.net> escreveu:
>>> When I change the resolution of the video, it gets smaller. But if I
>>> do not change? if I use the original size, the file is common to get
>>> bigger? I thought that would turn my flv video to a minor.
>>
>> the bitrate and used codec does affect the size much more than
>> the resolution - mostly the bitrate, remind wthat KILOBIT PER SECOND
>> does mean :-)
>
> I've been changing the bitrate. it really makes much difference in
> file size. but the video can not lose much quality. so I can not
> greatly reduce the bitrate.

this has to be tried

quality loss by lower birates depends also on the codec
H264 may have much better quality with lower bitrates
than other codecs

> So in conclusion: It is best not to use flv? This will work on the
> player from adobe? I can do streaming?

we are using H264 since yaers on SWF-players, yes it is supported

streaming is a totally other topic
google for "qt-faststart" (source is contained in ffmpeg tarball
but not compile dby default"

qt-faststart tempfile.mp4 finalfile.mp4

this will allow swf-players/ipod/iphone to start palying the
video without wait before it is fully downloaded