[FFmpeg-user] how to "play" uncompressed video across an network?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:13:35 CET 2012

> - Is there a container (preferably one supported by mplayer) that one
> can put uncompressed video and audio into?

AVI, Quicktime. DPX sequences are most often used for this sort of thing,
but I'm not sure if mplayer supports it.

> - Is there a preferred way that this can be pushed or pulled across a
> network (ffserver?)?

Worry first about your network infrastructure. Back of the envelope
calculation: assuming you're talking about a 4096-wide 16:9 image, that'll
be 1940 pixels high, and even at 8-bit, each frame will weigh in at the
best part of 23MB, without any sort of format overhead or audio taken into
account. That's nearly 600MB a second, which is about half the theoretical
total bandwidth of your 10 gig network. Certainly you won't be doing more
than one stream at once.

Within that you can use anything that will allow you to remote access the
file - although I'd be interested to see if most samba implementations
could keep up!